Friday 3 February 2012

Butterfly Craft

    On PA days I usually allow the kids to invite a friend each over.  Often Gracie invites a whole troupe, but today it is one each.  My friends think I am stark raving mad.  I already have a houseful, why would I add to that?  Two reasons, I know that I am a bit of a nerd, but we are making memories.  I want them to look back and remember that their friends were always welcome, that ours was a welcoming home.  The other reason is that generally when they each have a friend over, there is a lot less fighting.  I have a little more work in terms of making lunch (grilled cheese today) and snacks(fruit and chocolate chip cookies), but the rest is easy sailing.


I did a craft with them today.  We made butterflies.  I was not sure how this would fly with the two boys, but they both really enjoyed it.  Here's how we did it...

We used wide ribbon I bought at the dollar store.   An old- fashioned clothes pin, glue stick and google eyes.

We then gathered the ribbon in the middle and used a twist tie to secure it.

The clothes peg just slides over the twist tie part of the ribbon.

You could also use a Popsicle stick, and just twist tie the ribbon to the stick.

Last but not least, the adding of the googly eyes.

An alternative to the clothes pin method is to put two bunches of ribbon together and secure them with a pipe cleaner.

So as I sit here finishing up the blog, the house is in complete silence and it is glorious!
 They are all outside at the tobogganing hill.  They will come in soaking and hopefully smiling.
 I guess I better put the kettle on and start filling mugs for hot chocolate.


2 comments: