Sunday 20 May 2012

Vicki's Veggies


    We were heading home from our "Great Cheese Factory Tour" in Milford when we saw a sign for "Vicki's Veggies".  For those of you in the know (just ask my nephew Matthew) I LOVE asparagus.  I will drive for ages (just ask Matthew) to purchase farm side asparagus.  There was a little chalk board sign at the end of the road listing their veggies of the day, I needed no further nudging, we were on an adventure.  We did not have to travel down the road very far when we came upon the adorable white and green structure, with another cute little chalk board sign.


    The vegetables seemed to have been pre-washed and trimmed and packed into plastic bags in a cooler.  There was also a peg board full of dried herbs (which as you can see caught my Mom's attention).  There were so many different types.





    There was also a cooler filled with frozen soups.  What a great idea.  Prince Edward County is a huge tourist destination because of the Sand Banks Provincial Park, and also because there are a lot of cottages in the area.  How great would that be for a cottager to pick up a fresh soup for their holiday lunch, or really anyone for that matter.





    I was intrigued by this sign.  I wanted to find out more about it.  I found their website vickisveggies.com and investigated.  "Veggie- Bucks" allow the customer to become a share holder.  Vicki's Veggies is a community Shared Agriculture.  "The CSA model helps re-connect people with the land that sustains them and gives share holders the benefit of knowing how and where the food they eat was grown."-Vicki's Veggies.  In other words by purchasing "Veggie -Bucks" you provide fresh vegetables from the farm for your family (giving them added nutrition and no added chemicals), and you provide start up money for the farmer who is going to feed your family.  There is something to be said for farm fresh.  In the summer we try to eat food that has come from as close to our home as possible.  There is nothing quite so delicious as new potatoes that have been dug from the earth within hours of eating them.  There really is no difference.  Really that goes for all foods.   As soon as that vegetable / fruit comes off the plant they begin to loose their taste and nutrients.  We are extremely fortunate that we live in a small, agricultural area.  I can purchase my meat and vegetables and fruit from local people.   


    I really appreciated the trust system.  If anything it makes me more honest!





    One of the things that I noticed the most was the intoxicating fragrance that surrounded me.  It was heavenly.  I looked around, trying to decide where the smell was coming from, and what the smell was.  It was Lilly of The Valley, and it was growing thick across the road from us.  My Nana loved Lilly of the Valley.  When I smell it, I always think of her (I'm not sure why it took me so long to place that smell).  In a silly way it was like Nana was there with us.



    If you find yourself in Milford, then go to Vicki's Veggies.  If you're not then go to your local farmer's market and support your local farmer.  You know what they say, "Farmers Feed Cities".


Please feel free to add in the comments local farmers that sell their vegetables
 at farmers markets or at their farms.


It just takes a minute to hit that pink button, and put me into the top 10!


1 comment:

  1. I love little places like this,so trusting.I got my much needed Calendula for my cream,I love that it is organic, as is everything she grows.If you happen to be near here drop in and shop,I know I will go back.

    ReplyDelete