Saturday 16 March 2013

Rowan And Our One On One Day


    Today was one of those rare one on one days.  Gracie was at a friend's house for a sleep over.   Riley and Elly went shopping with Nana and Popa.  Christopher was at work.  That just left Rowan and I.  I had lots to do, but decided that it was more important that I spend time with Rowan.  Turns out that was one of the best decisions that I have made in a long time.


    I asked the Little Man what he wanted to do today, did he want to see a movie?  He wanted to do a craft.  We opened the craft cupboard and started digging.  Rowan was just digging, determined to find everything that he could need.  I am a control freak, and most times I have a craft planned.  Today we just decided to wing it... another great decision.


    We pulled out wooden clothes pins, paint, glue, felt, feathers, pipe cleaners, googlie eyes, and pom poms.  I suggested that we could make Leprechauns.  "Nah" was the response that I got.  He had a determined look on his face, a crafter hard at work.  I took great delight in making my own leprechauns.


    I  took great delight in painting the bottoms of the clothes pins.  I cut bits of felt and hot glued them into tiny little hats.  I nearly peed my pants laughing when I put the pom poms in half and hot glued them to make beards.  I guess what I am saying is that I sat with my son, and enjoyed him.  I forgot how much fun it is to just let the supplies take you where they go.  I forgot how much fun it is to make crafts.


    Rowan and I spent our afternoon just being together.  We did a craft, then we watched a movie.  We sat on the couch cuddling and watching Dare Devil.  It was PG13, and Rowan felt like a rebel ( I covered his eyes for the extremely tame sex scene).  I let him drink pop, and eat chocolate.


    At the end of the day we had a great day.  If someone were to ask "Oh what was so great about doing a craft and watching a movie?"  There was nothing that was earth shattering.  I gave one child my complete attention, that doesn't happen very often.  When you have 4 children you have to divide your attention.  You always need to stop what you are doing to break up a fight, pick up an injured child, pick up a child from a friend's house.  Add to all the distractions the fact that with four children I am always doing wash, making food (you will notice at no point I said cleaning).  When the rare opportunity presents itself to give one child my complete attention, it is important to seize it.


No comments:

Post a Comment