Thursday 11 April 2013

Tulips and My Husband's Love


    My husband is not romantic by nature, he would insist that he is... but he is not.  He is an amazing father, a wonderful husband, but a hopeless romantic, he is not.  The truth is that my husband and I take each other for granted.  We are very happily married, but sometimes we forget show each other just how much we love and appreciate each other.  Each of us knows that we are desperately loved, but sometimes we forget to show and tell.  I would really like to throw Christopher under the bus and say that it was only him who took me for granted, but that would make me a liar, liar, pants on fire, and I'm o.k. with the "liar, liar", but I take objection to the "pants on fire".   We have four children and a busy life, we put each other on the left over list (if there's energy left we will share it with our partner). 

    I say that my husband is not by nature a hopeless romantic, but he does have his moments.  He has those moments that make my heart melt and my eyes tear up with joy.  Today is one of those days.  I can't remember when it started, but my husband one year brought me a bouquet of tulips.  They were bright and colourful and beautiful.  Tulips are my favourite flower, and I was so very touched that Christopher had remembered that.  From that day on, every year around this time, my husband brings me home a bouquet of brightly coloured tulips. 
    This year I was beginning to think that Christopher had forgotten our tradtion.  I waited patiently wondering when I should begin to drop hints.  What if he had forgotten?  I honestly think it might break my heart if he ever forgot.  I was beginning to get worried.  This past Tuesday I took my Dad to a doctors appointment in Kingston.  While we were in Kingston we did a little shopping.  We went into the beautiful new grocery store there.  At the front were buckets of beautiful tulips.  I pointed them out to my Mom.  "Look at those beautiful tulips.  I'd buy them, but Christopher always buys me my tulips.  I think that he may have forgotten this year."  She shook her head a little and gave me an exhasperated look.  "He hasn't forgotten."
    This week has been an especially busy week.  I have had meetings every week night , and appointments every day.  I came home this afternoon, tired but having put in a really nice morning and afternoon out.  I came home to an excited puppy and an empty house.  Shortly after I came in, Christopher came home.  He said hello, and we chatted.  He was home for a while before I went into the kitchen.  There on the table was a pretty paper covered bunch.  The same paper covered bunch that often comes from a florist shop.  "Are these for me?"  I asked.  He nodded.  There wrapped in pretty paper were my tulips.  I took them out, the smile on my face so big that it hurt.  "I thought that you had forgotten." I told him, close to tears.  "I would never forget your tulips, NEVER."  It was at that point that I threw myself into his arms.
    Our lives get busy, and we forget to show each other just how much we love them.  My husband has started a beautiful tradition.  It seems fitting that it is in the spring, a time of rebirth and renewal.  It is as if our love sometimes needs that little kick start.  Today my husband reminded me just how special I am to him.  He made me feel like the most special and loved woman in the world.  I am a lucky woman, and I need to remember that more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment