Tuesday 25 June 2013

2012/ 2013 School Year Screeching To An End


    Today is report card day for the kids.  We will learn who their teachers are for next year.  My brain is  still coming to grips with the fact that we are closing out another school year.  It seems like I was just agonizing about my baby going to school, and she already has a school year under her belt.  I hate to sound like an old mother, but I'm not sure where the time has gone.
    Remember when you were a kid and an hour seemed like an eternity?  Summer holidays felt like they were infinite, that is until Labour Day Week-end.  I remember when my Gabe was born, my very first baby.  My mother looked at me, tears streaming down her face, love glowing from her.  She looked down at me holding that beautiful new baby and told me "It seems like just yesterday that you were that big in my arms, and now you have your own baby."  I did not fully appreciate the wisdom of her words.  It feels like I was just that scared young woman holding her new baby, and yet Gabe should be 18.  All of Gabe's friends are headed off to University or College.  They are setting off on their own, making their own lives.  Part of me feels robbed that I do not get to mourn the loss of that near adult boy heading out on his own, part of me cannot comprehend that.
    The school year is quickly screeching to an end.  I am feeling very contemplative looking at the year that seemed to have zipped by at light speed.  My babies are growing up, and it's all going by so quickly.  Two more years and Gracie will be heading off to high school ... how is that possible?  This was the year that I was going to have so much time.  I was going to write a book this year, now that I had all of that free time with Elly at all day everyday kindergarten.  Spoiler alert, I wrote 20 pages but there was never enough time to write.  I was the stay at home Mom who was never at home.  I over committed to volunteering, there were doctors appointments, class trips and large black holes of lost time.
    Here is what I have learned from the 2012 / 2013 school year, time is not infinite, it is fleeting and slippery.  If you are not careful with it, time can crash like a bad stock investment, never to be recovered.  I need to make the very most of every single fleeting second that I have with my kids, because before I know it, it will be me looking down at their brand new babies, amazed at the passage of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment