Saturday 14 September 2013

Solving The "What's For Dinner" Question



    There are times as a parent that I wonder how I have not lost my marbles completely (I say 'Completely' because there are many who would argue that I have indeed lost most of my marbles).  I find myself repeating the same statement over and over and over and over again.  There are days that I end up shouting my answers, not just out of frustration, but so that everyone can hear.
    The worst for this is "What's For Dinner?"  I was getting to the point that I was repeating 'What's For Dinner' 10 - 15 times a day.  There were days I felt like I would loose my mind.  I actually contemplated making a digital recording of "What's For Dinner" to help keep my sanity!  This happened all summer long.  The kid's would each ask me twice at least what's for dinner, and then Christopher would come in and ask "What's for dinner?"  By the first week of school I thought I would really loose it.  It was around this same time that one of the kids knocked my blackboard off of the wall for the umteenth time that I actually had a good idea... write it down!
     In one of my repeated attempts to get the kids organized I had made a chalkboard.  I had scouted out an ornate frame, and then painted blackboard paint onto an old piece of plywood.  I had thought that it would be a great "reminder board" for the kids.  http://themiddleagedwomanwholivedinashoe.blogspot.ca/2012/01/i-am-pretty-sure-that-my-kids-would.htm  It turns out that it was just not big enough for everything.  For a while the kids would write notes on it, but when I ended up putting up a huge white board, the blackboard essentially became obsolete.  http://themiddleagedwomanwholivedinashoe.blogspot.ca/2012/09/getting-organized-for-this-years-school.html  The big blackboard just sat blank on the wall.  It was repeatedly knocked down (see the above picture and look at he chipped corners).
    I decided that the obsolete chalkboard would be a great canvas for "What's For Dinner".  Every afternoon I now write "what's for dinner" on the board.  Now when the kids repeatedly ask "What's For Dinner?" I just point to the board.  I still want to choke them, but now it's for different reasons!

No comments:

Post a Comment